Thursday, June 6, 2013

Rabbit Trails and Social Consciousness

I've been told I should probably be tested for ADHD after disclosing some of my best practices to the company EAP.  

Case in point: I have been reading Julie & Julia by Julie Powell (a recent inspiration), left it at home today (although, I've toted it around for a week--you'd think I would have missed it, walking out the door), looked, and have 7: An Experimental Mutiny, by Jen Hatmaker, in my purse.  But like so many other books I start, I end up starting another before I finish the first, so I don't really want to dive into 7, just yet.  

Instead, I decide I'll just flip through the front pages, where I find this statement: "How can I be socially responsible if unaware that I reside in the top percentage of wealth in the world? (You probably do too: Make $35,000 a year? Top 4 percent....)"

Hm. I make around that much a year.  So, rabbit trail, now I'm off to find where this statistic came from, and I did find website that allows you to see what percentage you fall in--apparently I'm in the top 19%--adding in my husband's income would probably bump us up, but that's still pretty amazing.

What's amazing, too, is that even being the top 19% in the world, we've got to be on the lower end of the financial totem pole in the U.S.  And yet, we struggle.  So I'm eager to read this book.  My love of good food directly conflicts with my social consciousness.  Need to have a come to Jesus meeting about that.

And to come full circle, I'm excited about cooking the lamb chops I picked up at the grocery today.....

No comments:

Post a Comment